Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
From: Cooking on the side
yields: 1 dozen cupcakes
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 sifted cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 stick butter, softened
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate,melted and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with liners.
2. Cream butter and slowly add in sugar until fluffy in a medium bowl. Add in eggs one at a time until incorporated.
3. In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix the milk and extracts in a small bowl.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture to the butter mix, beating after each addition until smooth.
6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for about 17-20 minutes of until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. 7. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool completely on cooling racks.
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Add in the chocolate and beat until blended.
- If necessary add more milk 1 tbsp at a time until to get desired spreading consistency. Using either a piping bag, a spoon, or an offset spatula to frost the cupcakes.
- I only got 1 dozen regular cupcakes out of the batter
- My cupcakes were done at 17 minutes instead of the original 20.