Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Roasted Cherry Dark Chocolate Brownies

   I'm warning ya'll now that this is the 2nd cherry recipe that I've shared so far and I have at least 2 more to share this summer. One is a recipe for a cherry fruit drink that I made up and the other is a cherry sauce/jam which you can have on yogurt, biscuits, or in drinks.I'll try to space out the recipes so I won't be overloading ya'll with 3 cherry recipes back to back; sometimes, I get a little hung up on a certain ingredient or dish and right now it's cherries.
   I found this recipe through Foodgawker and I knew I had to make it since it involved three of my favorite things: cherries, dark chocolate, and brownies! I told my dad about the recipe to see if he had every tried anything like it before and he said that he had, but those brownies were about 80% cherries & 20% brownie. I thought this recipe would be a winner since it only has 1 cup of cherries so they won't over load the dish and that everyone in our family  house are brownie-fanatics so it would be good. 

  Around 8:30 I started to prepare the ingredients to make the brownies so that they would be cool by lunch time which is when I have good lighting for photos. This recipe honestly couldn't be any easier to make and it's baked in under 30 minutes. I ended up using half semi-sweet and half dark chocolate since that is what I had on hand. After the brownies had cooled for about 15 minutes, I decided that I couldn't wait, got a spoon, scooped out a little piece in the corner to try, and it was delicious! The brownies were still warm so it had a gooey, pudding-like texture with a rich chocolate base, and a surprise of sweet glazed cherries.
These brownies are best eaten with a spoon.
 I think that next time I might add more cherries into the batter and maybe a little almond extract. These brownies don't have the texture of most other brownies when they cool, they have a slightly under baked, rich, and gooey texture like brownie pie. This recipe is one of the best brownie recipes that I've tried and if you love a fudgy-brownie then you need to try this recipe. 



Roasted Cherry Dark Chocolate Brownies
adapted: Pastry Affair

 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted & halved
2 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped (I used 1/2 semi-sweet & dark chocolate)
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
4 large eggs, room temp.
1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat over to 450F. Line a small roasting pan with foil, lay out the cherries, sprinkle over the sugar, and roast for about 10 minutes, or until the cherries start giving out their juices. Remove from the baking pan and place in the fridge to cool down.
2. Lower the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 pan or line it with foil before greasing (what I did).
3. In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat to cool down.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together. Slowly, add in the cooled chocolate until mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Gently fold the flour in until smooth. Stir in the cherries.
5. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 15-25 minutes* (I baked them for 24 minutes) or until the center doesn't giggle in the gentle of the pan when shaken. Using a toothpick to check the brownies won't work.

Notes:
-Don't over bake! The brownies are better if slightly under cooked. *The original recipe said to bake them for 15-20 minutes, but other comments said that they needed to bake a few minutes longer.
-I ended up baking my batch in a 9x9 pan and it took about 24 minutes. If you use a smaller pan it will take longer.
-These brownies don't have a texture like most other brownies, the texture is a rich, slightly gooey, under baked texture which is great to eat when it's still warm.
- Next time I might add more cherries and some almond extract which pairs well with cherries.

2 comments:

  1. Wow,they look delicious and you have photographed the brownie so well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to go out and get some cherries and dark chocolate today! Your photography is beautiful - you're very talented. I love photos that show the magic and beauty of "ordinary" life.

    ReplyDelete