Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chocolate covered Strawberries

Today's post is going to be short.
I know I haven't been posting as much as I use to and Im still trying to get back into it.
Today I had an appointment with another Rheumatologist (we are switching doctors), had more blood tests run, and had a untrasound to check my liver.
And then I had a couple of tests and quizes for school to complete.
So, i'm now really feeling up to writing a long post.

Anyway, last weekend my mom bough 4 cartons of strawberries and I decided that I haven't made chocolate-covered strawberries in a long time and plus its getting close to valentine's day (even though it doesn't mean anything to me, but this is a simple and delicious dessert that everyone enjoys). Plus, my mom's birthday is this weekend so I'll be making another batch of these for then.


more photos here


Chocolate covered Strawberries
adapted from: Food Network

  • 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
  • 1 lb strawberries with stems (about 20), rinsed and dried very well
1. Put the semisweet into heatproof medium bowl. Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Turn off the heat; set the bowl of chocolate over the water to melt.
2. Stir until smooth. (Alternatively, melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power, for 1 minute, stir and then heat for another minute or until melted.)
3. Once the chocolate are melted and smooth, remove from the heat.
4. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip the fruit into the dark chocolate, lift and twist slightly, letting any excess chocolate fall back into the bowl. Set strawberries on the parchment paper.
5. Repeat with the rest of the strawberries.
6. Now put the white chocolate into a small bowl and place over a double boiler to melt. Stir until smooth and remove from heat. Dip a fork in the white chocolate and drizzle the white chocolate over the dipped strawberries.
7. Set the strawberries aside until the chocolate sets, about 30 minutes.

Notes:
-Instead of using a fork drizzle the white chocolate, you can use a small sandwich bag (with the tip cut off) or a piping bag to decorate the strawberries. This way it looks cleaner and you can make disigns like these cute footballs.
- If you're a fan of white chocolate then switch the amounts for the white and dark chocolate, dip the stawberries into the white chocolate first, and then drizzle the dark chocolate over it.
- You could double-dip. Dip the strawberry into the dark chocolate, let it cool and set, then drip the tip into the white chocolate, and let it cool again. Or vise-versa
-You dip the strawberry at an angle in the dark chocolate, let it dry a bit, and then dip the other side into the white chocolate like this
- If using white chocolate, you can use sugar sprinkles to make them pretty.
- Storage: After letting the chocolate set, you can keep them out at room temp. or you can put them in the fridge.
-These don't last very long; they aren't like a pan of brownies. They usually last up to 3 days in the fridge, but the sooner you eat them the better.

1 comment:

  1. I accidentally stumbled onto you blog today looking for recipes and was so happy I did.... while I was looking I glanced at the sidebar and noticed a word that seemed so out of place in the midst of "breakfasts, lunch, dinners"... the word "Lupus". I've been dealing with it now for 23 years which is when my 5 year old daughter was diagnosed. Since then my other daughter and I myself have been diagnosed with it but it's my oldest who has had the worst of it. I will be making this blog an every day visit.. but even without the Lupus I would have. :)

    ReplyDelete