Here's the deal: Our family doesn't do the whole "birthday party, birthday cake & ice cream, or party hat" birthdays. How we do celebrate, is every few months, depending one how many birthdays fall in those months, the birthday guy or gal gets to pick a place they want to have dinner at and then we all meet, catch up, and eat good food. Also its usually when my cousin,
This recipe was given to me by a family friend, Jan, who lives in Kansas. For a few years, I went up to Kansas with my grandparents for harvest and I generally helped Jan and my grandma make the food to take out to the guys in the fields and I also helped hand reared a few orphaned kittens. This was one of the favorite meals that we made while in Kansas. Jan actually got this recipe out of a small town newspaper and has been making it ever since., while passing the recipe on to many family members and friends.
|This was before it went into the oven. I forgot to get an "after" picture.|
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) slices ripe olives, drained
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained (optional)
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
You could make this dish vegetarian by omitting the meat.
You could also use chopped or shredded chicken in place of the beef.
1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in the butter until tender.
2. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and oregano. Add ground beef if desired.
3. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Place half of the spaghetti in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish. Top with half of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
4. Repeat layers.
5. Mix the soup and water until smooth; pour over the casserole. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Serve with a salad and garlic texas toast.