Sunday, January 15, 2012

Oven-Fried Chicken

Magazines.
Food Magazines.
I have a good amount of them.I also have a folder with pages from magazines and print outs of recipes to try. I actually have been trying to put together a binder of recipes that I have tried, liked, or created; so it would be like my own little cookbook. I recently found a recipe for oven fried chicken in a Better Homes and Gardens Anyone Can Cook magazine.

With this being the new year, everyone is trying to eat healthier and that usually means giving up the food you enjoy. Well, my dad isn't able to get out of the house much due to his sickness and he has been craving fried chicken. We did own a little fryer, but we got rid of it because we stopped using it a few years ago. While flipping through the magazine I found a recipe for oven-fried chicken that was simple and looked easy enough so I made it. And it was a hit. I've made this recipe twice and each time I tweeked it a little to try and get the perfect (or nearly perfect) results and I think each time it gets a little better. My dad said that If he didn't know that I baked it, he would have thought it was fried. The cornflakes gave a good crunch, the chicken was juicy, and the leftovers tasted even better the next day.


Oven-Fried Chicken
adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens Anyone Can Cook Magazine
serves: 6

1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp milk
3 cps finely crushed cornflakes or butter crackers
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp salt
 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp McCormick season all (or favorite season all seasoning)
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 1/2-3 lbs meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs,and drumsticks)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl combine egg, and milk. In a shallow dish dish combine cornflakes, paprika, salt, pepper, season all, and pepper; stir in butter. Set aside.
2. Skin chicken. Dip chicken pieces, one at a time into the egg mixture; coat with cornflake mixture.
3. In a 15x10x1 baking dish lined with foil, arrange chicken pieces, bone sides down, so the pieces aren't touching. Sprinkle chicken with any leftover cornflake mixture.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until the chicken is tender and no longer pink (170F for breasts, 180F for thighs and drumsticks)
-Don't turn chicken pieces when cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment