Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Roasted Potatoes & Green Beans: Updated

  This is one of my favorite pictures with my new camera- and of Tigger in general.
  With my old camera, this picture would have been a blur, but with my new camera I got to capture Tigger being extra cute.
  It's a shame that he is scared of other people (besides my parents & I) because I think he would be a great kitty model- he's got cheek bones that women pay big bucks for!
                                                    Here are some more pictures of Tigger.

  Now back to the food.
  I got this recipe from a random food magazine that I picked up at the store. Some people buy shoes, jewelry, or just random things even though they may have more than enough of that item already at home. Well, that is me with food magazines and cook books. And they all have plenty of sticky notes that mark enough recipes to try for many years to come without repeating.

   I made this dish this past Sunday dinner that we ate along with a roasted chicken. When they were almost finished cooking, I add some of the juice from the chicken which gave it more flavor, except the potatoes didn't get as crispy. My mom took the leftovers to work with her. While I was making a marinate for some steaks for yesterday's dinner my mom called and asked if I could make the potatoes & green bean dish again. 
  This time I didn't add any more liquid to the potatoes so the potatoes had a chance to get golden brown and crispy.

Roasted Potatoes & Green Beans
Adapted from: Cuisine Tonight Magazine
serves: 4

1 lb red potatoes, quartered or really small golden potatoes 
1 tbsp olive oil 
13 tbsp. butter
2 garlic cloves, sliced or quartered
1/4 tsp each McCormick's Season All  Mrs. Dash table blend, garlic blend, and onion blend (all salt free)
8 oz fresh green beans, trimmed & halved
salt 
juice of 1/2 small lemon (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 450F with a baking sheet inside.
2. Toss potatoes with the oil, then season with salt, pepper, and half of the seasonings.
3. Transfer potatoes to preheated baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Toss the green beans with the garlic, season with more salt, pepper, and seasoning .Add to the baking sheet with the potatoes.
5. Roast for 10 more minutes. Melt the 1 tbsp butter and lemon juice (if using) on the hot pan and toss together the potatoes and green beans before serving.



Note: 
-The lemon juice helps cut the heaviness of the dish. 
-The original recipe said to "mince" the garlic. The first time I made this dish, I just cut the garlic in half and cooked it that way- I was afraid that cooking the minced garlic at such a high temperate would burn it.This time when I made it, I diced the garlic and only 1 tiny piece burned when cooking the potatoes and when I added the rest of the garlic when I tossed in the  green beans and no of it burned the second time in the oven. 
-The leftovers are good the next day sauteed in a hot skillet with scrambled eggs.

4 comments:

  1. I love roasted veggie dishes. This sounds delicious and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about a perfect comfort food! This would go along with anything you served.
    Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect comfort food! Simple and tasty, what more can you ask for? Cute cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe it's delicious. Thanks for posting this healthy recipe of green beans :)

    ReplyDelete