Friday, April 20, 2012

Pumpkin PB Dog Treats


 It's been a while since I have made any homemade dog treats so I looked up and found a really good recipe. These are actually okay for a wide variety of animals. I split 1 4'' heart treat between our 2 goats & chicken, and another treat for our 2 horses and they all enjoyed their little snack.

When I was making these, I had 4 of our 6 dogs in the house with me because we had some guys come out to remove a few dead trees on our property. Marley and Oddball {my dogs} are the rambunctious ones, especially when they get to come in the house, but they are generally good when I'm in the kitchen cooking or baking. Once they figure out that i'm not going to give them anything they usually go to take a nap, but that doesn't mean that they won't sniff around to see if they could grab a bite.


  The only thing that I might add to this recipe is I would brush some egg wash over the treats before they go into the oven since I had to use more flour (I added a little too much pumpkin) so the dough wouldn't stick to the board and some of the treats had extra flour on top. You could also just use a pastry brush to brush off the excess flour.-If you didn't need to use extra flour, then you could skip this step.

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats
Recipe From: Use Real Butter

2 1/2 white wheat flour cups (or whole wheat), extra flour for rolling out
2 large eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter

Egg Wash (optional) 1 egg beaten with some water or milk.

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl or in a Kitchen Aid bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until its a bit crumbly. Using your hands form the dough into a ball, if the dough is still too dry, add in some water.If you dough is a little wet, just add some more flour on the cutting board and knead before rolling out the dough.
3. On a floured board, roll out the dough until it's about 1/4-1/8" thick (the original recipe used 1/4'' thick).  You can either cut strips on the dough and then cut those into squares or you can use a cookie cutter of you choice. I used a 1'' scalloped edge cutter. Cut out as many treats as you can until you have to re-roll the dough and start again.
4. Place the treats on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper & brush with egg wash, if using. You can crowd these treats close together since they don't spread out, they just puff up slightly. The original recipe said to bake for 15-20 minutes for a "soft" cookie & 30 minutes for a hard cookie, but I baked mine for 15 minutes and they were crunchy with a slightly soft middle. I made 4 heart shaped treats that were 4'' wide and they took about 25-30 minutes to get hard.
5. Cool the treats completely before storing in an air-tight container.

Note: After about 2 days in an air-tight container, the cookies softened up a little.

I ended up getting about 133 small 1'' treats & 4  heart (4'') treats out of this dough.

5 comments:

  1. A co-worker's wife made these and he brought me some... my dogs LOVED them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this with me, I'm definitely going to bake this once my dogs' teeth are fully grown (he only eats chewy stuff right now haha). These are so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long can I store these in an air tight container? Is there an expiration date?

    ReplyDelete
  4. allergic to NUTS . . . can we leave the pnut butter out? would they be just as good with out? would you substitute something in place of it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have appreciated with getting lot of good and reliable homemade dog treats in your website. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful . See more at homemade dog treats

    ReplyDelete