Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Red Velvet Cake w/ Fluffy Frosting

Red Velvet Cake.
YUM!!
And Sprinkles!
My mom (a yankee) has never tried red velvet cake! Ever. And she has lived in Texas for what twenty-something years! Well, this came about after I wanted to make buttermilk biscuits and where my mom was, they only sold 1/2 gallon sizes so I needed to use the rest of the buttermilk.

Also I wanted to make it as a present to my self for finishing all of my tests and essays for this grading period.

And because I was a little bummed that Texas A&M Vet school was completely completely out of my future.
Its like being in science class again.
Vinegar + baking soda = bubbles
This is the flour/milk "pudding" after its finished cooking
Add the cooled "pudding" into the whipped butter and sugar
Magnifique

sugar sprinkles ..
Time to eat
The only "bad" thing about making red velvet is people will know if you have tasted some of the batter, because your tongue (and fingers) will be bright red.

The cupcake version here

RED VELVET CAKE W/ FROSTING:
From: Yankee Church Supper Cookbook

Cake:
½ cp. Shortening (I use butter)
1 ½ cp. Sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cp. Flour
1 heaping tbsp. cocoa
½ tsp. salt
1 cp. Buttermilk
1 oz. red food coloring
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. vinegar

1.      Cream shortening and sugar together and add eggs.
2.      Sift together the flour and salt; mix together the food coloring and cocoa in a small bowl.
3.      Add dry ingredients into the sugar/shortening mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Beat well.
4.      Dissolve the baking soda in vinegar (it will bubble) and fold into the batter.
5.      Grease and flour two 9” cake pans and line the botton with parchment paper.
      *USE butter or shortening to grease your pan
6.      Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. (the original said 30-35, but mine only took about 25)
7.      Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
8.      After the cake is completely cooled, frost and serve.

Fluffy Frosting
You could put this frosting on any type of cake, on cookies ,and as the filling for whoopie pies. This frosting is nothing like what you buy in the cans at the store; it has the flavor and texture of whipped cream + marshmallow fluff. It is easy and isn't hard and cracky the next day like some other frostings. Also it doesn't taste like you put 5 cups of sugar into it like some other frostings.
¼ cp. Flour
1 cp. Milk
1/8 tsp. salt
½ cp. Shortening (I used butter)
½ cp. Butter, softened
1 cp. Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1.      In a small saucepan, blend flour, milk, and salt and cook over low heat until it is thick like pudding. Take off the stove and let cool.
 *When cooking: keep whisking, if you don’t the flour will sink and create clumps.
2.      In a large mixer bowl, combine shortening, butter, and sugar. Cream for about 5 minutes so you won’t end up with grainy frosting.
3.      Add the cooled flour mixture and vanilla and beat until smooth and combines (5 minutes)
4.      Spread between layer of cake and over the top and sides of the cake.

This is what the cake looked like after my dad and I ate it.
Also I took some over to our neighbors.


P.S. My mom liked it and my dad said, "that was the moistest cake I've ever eaten."

No comments:

Post a Comment