Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Cupcakes (Red Velvet)

  Friday I tried out a new brownie recipe for my dad. The brownies were super fudge-y and rich, but not loaded with sugar because I has to lower the amount of sugar because it would have been sickening sweet,  and everyone who had one enjoyed them. ( I'll post the recipe soon) Then our washing machine broke, but then my dad discovered what was the problem and my mom and I went to try to find a new part, which we did thankfully. And when we got back to the house, our hay guy had just delivered 3 big round bales and I had to help my dad roll 2 into a hay shelter, and  I think that was when I messed up my wrist.

 Saturday, my mom and I ended up going to 5 different stores before calling it quits and going home to unload and bake/cook for Easter morning. I had planned of making sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles for Easter, but that didn't happen because we had some much to do this weekend, but not enough time. I did make cupcakes, though. Red Velvet Cupcakes. I used my Red Velvet Cake & Frosting recipe and I made a few tiny changes...


  • I added more cocoa powder. I used 2 1/2 tbsp instead of 1 tbsp in the original recipe.
  • I made cupcakes with the batter which made 24 cupcakes. The cupcakes took about 14 minutes to bake for regular sized and about 17 minutes if you got a little generous and filled them too much. 
  • I added 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of nonpareil sprinkles into the frosting which made it have streaks of color.  I used 1 tsp of the regular multi-colored sprinkles and 3 tsps of the pastel (Easter themed) colored sprinkles and then added more sprinkles on top of each cupcake.  

  I made the cupcakes for a bake sale that our youth was having to help raise money for camp. Usually the bake sale has pies, cakes, and brownies, but I wanted cupcakes since they are little and cute. We bought some cupcake boxes from Joann's that each held 4 cupcakes so it would be easy to transport and sell. We actually bought a few packs of the cupcake boxes, some treat boxes, and some cookie bags to have on hand for other bake sales and if we wanted to give treats as gifts to people. We ended up making a good amount of money from the bake sale and had time for the eater egg hunt just before it rained.

1 comment: