Sunday, August 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Cake Bars

 We had the family out again this weekend. All went okay until  my aunt who we suspect to have Alzheimer's  thought it would be a good idea to listen to my dad and chop off Twister's beautiful black and white mane. Well that didn't go over to well with mom and I since we had no knowledge that this was going on outside.  Well, she ended up cutting the top long, the rest was completely uneven, and it looked bad so my mom and I had to go out and cut even more off to try to make it look okay. Buttercup's mane and tail never grow so we never have to worry about trimming her's, but when we cut Twister's hair we keep it at an "average" mane length. Last time we had to actually cut (not trim) Twister's mane, we had to chop off most of it since he got into a fight with our neighbor's mare and she ripped a big chunk of his mane leaving a very short buzz cut-  It wasn't pretty and I thought that it never would grow out fast enough. It also doesn't help that it's been raining and muddy so Twister has been having problems again with his left front leg (stiffness, lameness). We have been massaging his leg, letting him get on level ground instead of the muddy pasture, and we've got him on a new supplemental called Dumor Joint Supplements which has a lot of good reviews so we'll see how it works. 

 I found this recipe last minute on Pinterest and decided to try it. Since I try to bake most of my recipes from scratch I usually don't look at recipe using pre-made mixes, but this recipe is better than any pre-made cookie dough you can get at the store (Did you know certain pre made cookie dough brands use chocolate flavoring instead of actual chocolate chips? My dad can always tell which brands use the fake stuff). You have to like peanut butter in order to enjoy these bars,and even though this is my second peanut butter post in a row, I mostly eat almond or hazelnut butter instead. These would make for a good (and quick) snack to pack for lunches since school will be starting soon and have around once the kids get home from school with a big glass of milk (soy milk for me, please).

-P.S .I may not post another recipe until next week since this week I will be working, going to the dentist, going to physical therapy, and I have to take the kittens to get fixed this Friday. 


Peanut Butter Cake Bars
adapted: Becoming Betty

1 box yellow cake mix
2 large eggs
1/3 cup apple sauce*
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Notes: 
I used Betty Crocker super moist yellow cake mix 18.25oz.
*I used unsweetened apple sauce instead of vegetable oil.
The original recipe called for crunchy PB, but I used creamy.
I used mini chocolate chips.

1. Heat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and mix until combined.
3. Slowly add the cake mix to the wet mixture until no flour is visible- the batter will be very thick.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, lightly wet your hands with water, and press the batter evenly into the pan.
5. Bake for 17-19 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

2 comments:

  1. Very, very good! I followed the directions exactly and they turned out perfect at 17 minutes. They basically taste like a peanut butter cookie. My only "complaint" (not really) is that they are pretty crumbly - but who cares!

    ReplyDelete