Sunday, August 5, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

I wanted to share this recipe today since this is going to be a busy week for me and I probably won't have time to post anything again til Thursday or next Monday. 
 It was once again time to make a breakfast item to take to church. I wanted to choose something that was portable, simple, and used fresh summer  fruit.  I found a recipe and seeing that it had over 900 comments and rave reviews I decided to pick that recipe to make. I ended up making 2 cakes since I was sure 1 wouldn't enough for church and I figured that any leftovers would be taken home by the pastors.

 The first cake I made turned out having a little more color on the top and was a little dryer than the second because I added just the amount of buttermilk listed  instead of adding a tab bit more. Even though this cake is labeled as "breakfast" it's basically a cake that you can have it any time of the day since it is slightly sweet.  This cake is dense,  loaded with blueberries, has a good tang from the buttermilk, and the lemon zest lightens it up.


Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
2 tsp lemon zest
7/8 cup* + 1 tbsp sugar**
1 large egg, room tempature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cup flour, divided
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk***
powdered sugar (optional), for dusting

Notes:
- *7/8 cup is 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp.
- **1 tbsp sugar is for sprinkling on top. On one cake I used white sugar and the other I used turbinado, but I ended up sprinkling a little powder sugar on the top when it was cooled so I didn't matter which sugar I used before it went into the oven.
- I used White Whole Wheat flour instead of All Purpose.
-*** The recipe calls for 1/2 cup buttermilk, but if the batter is too thick (you want it to be like a thick, but spreadable batter) than add some more buttermilk; I'd add a maybe a 1/2 tbsp at a time. I maybe added 2-3 tablespoons more.

Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9 with parchment and grease.
2. Cream the butter, lemon zest, and 7/8 cup sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. In a small bowl, add in the blueberries and 1/4 cup flour and toss to combine. In another bowl, add in the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk to mix.
4. Slowly alternate adding in the flour mixture and buttermilk into the batter.-This is where you will know if you need to add a little more buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Spread batter into the pan and sprinkle with the 1 tbsp sugar. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out free of batter. Note: some people needed to bake their cakes for as much as 10 minutes longer.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment