Stove Top Chicken Skillet
Adapted from: Food & Family magazine 2009
1 1/2 cp hot water
1/4 cp butter, melted
1 pkg (6 oz.) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2lbs)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
black pepper & salt
1/4 cp sour cream*
In a Skillet:
1. Mix together the water, butter, and stuffing mix in a medium bowl. It may look too loose,but it thickens up. set aside. Season the chicken with some black pepper and salt.
2. In a skillet cook the chicken on medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side. Mix together the soup and sour cream; pour over the chicken. Top with the stuffing mixture; cover.
3. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done (165F).
> I put the skillet under the broiler for 5-7 minutes to get the stuffing slightly crunchy.
For the Oven:
1. Heat the oven to 375F. Prepare everything as directed above.
2. Place the chicken in 9x13 baking dish. Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and top with the stuffing mix.
3.Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken is done.
>Broil for a few minutes to get a crunchy topping if desired.
*The recipe called for 1/3 of a cup of sour cream, but the end product which was good-was a little too saucey for our liking. You could also maybe just forget the sour cream and loosen the soup with a few tablespoons of hot water.