Well the family came out tonight and we ate taco soup.
She has a soup recipe.
Its called Taco Soup.
Even people who aren't big soup fans (me being one) crave it.
End of Story.
Every year, just as Autumn begins my Grandma makes her famous Taco Soup.
Well its famous in our family.
We love it!
Its kind of sad how much we enjoy this soup. What makes it better, it that it freezes well so we can eat it anytime.
Serves: 12-16 serving
· 2 lbs. ground sirloin
· 1 large onion, diced
· 2 tsp. salt
· Ground Cumin (starts with 1 teaspoon)
· Chili Powder (starts with 1 teaspoon*)
· 3 cans Whole Kernel Corn
· 3 cans Pinto Beans (I use Ranch-style)
· 3 cans Ortega diced green chilis
· 3 cans Stewed diced tomatoes (use small diced tomatoes)
· 3 pkg. Hidden Valley original Ranch mix
· 3 pkg. Lawry’s Taco Mix (mild or medium heat)
· 6-8 cp. water
1. Brown the sirloin and onion in a large skillet. (I soak up any leftover grease with paper towels)
2. Transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot.
3. Add in the corn, beans, chilies, and tomatoes.
4. Add the salt, cumin, and chili powder to taste.
5. Add in the Lawry’s and Ranch packages and 6 cups of water.
6. Let simmer for several hours, stirring every so often so nothing sticks to the bottom.
7. As it cooks down, taste it to see if it needs more salt, cumin, or chili powder.
We top our soup with tortilla chips and shredded cheese, but you could add sour cream or jalapenos.
*If you have people who do not like their food hot then 1 tsp. in enough, but if they do enjoy their food hotter, then you could add more.
-- Usually my grandma doubles the recipe so we can have 1 big family dinner together(usually 9-12 people) and then 3 households (each house has less than 4 people) can freeze the leftovers to eat whenever.