When we were at store, I decided that i wanted to make a leek and cauliflower soup. Well I ended up buying broccoli and asparagus and forgot all about the cauliflower that I swore I put in the basket.
Rince the leek under running water to remove any grit. Noone wants sand in their soup.
Roughly chop the onion and garlic; its gonna be pureed in the end
Its like a roasted forest in your oven
Broccoli, Leek, and Aspargus Soup
Created by Rayna of Curious Country Cook
Make a little over 4 cups. Serves 4-6
- 1 broccoli bunch
- 1 leek
- 1 aspargus bunch
- 3- 3 1/2 cp.Vegetable broth (could use chicken broth)
- 2 garlic cloves
- olive oil (about 2-3 tbsp-most goes on the veg. for roasting.)
- 1 small onion or 1/2 large
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 thyme sprigs (fresh)
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 pinch-red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 1/4 cp. heavy cream
2. Cut up 1 broccoli (after trimming some of the stem), aspargus (cut off 2-3 inches of stems, its woody and hard) , and leek (cut of the bulb and the dark green, just use the light green section).Rince the leek under running water to remove any grit. Lay on a large cookie sheet with sides or casserole dish and toss with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once during cooking.
4. In a medium-large pot heat up the oil and butter on medium-high.
5. Roughly chop the onion and garlic cloves, throw into the pot, and saute for about 15 minutes.
6.In the pot, add the broth, thyme, red pepper flakes, lemon zest. Add the roasted veg. and bring to a boil.
7. Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool. Add the cream.
8. Toast some pine nuts in a dry pan for about 8 minutes. Set aside
8. Puree the mixture in a blinder or with a hand blinder.
9. Serve the soup with pine nuts on top and some fresh ground pepper.
Other things to top this soup with:
- bacon crumbles
- cayene or more red pepper flakes