Saturday, June 9, 2012

Peanut Butter Coconut Cups

  This weekend I was looking for more gluten-free recipes. After looking through several recipe that I had saved via foodgawker, pinterest, and some magazines, I decided to make a new recipe. I wanted to do something with coconut, but I didn't want to crack open to 2 fresh coconuts that we have sitting on our counter so I went with shredded coconut (i'm lazy today).
  I thought about making this recipe or this one, but I made my own recipe based off the peanut butter cups recipe I made a while back.
I thought about using almond butter instead of peanut butter, but I chose peanut butter to try first. If you use almond butter then this recipe will be considered paleo- peanuts are not paleo.You could use whatever type of chocolate that you prefer. I prefer semi sweet to dark chocolate, but next time I might make a 1/2 batch in milk chocolate for my dad who doesn't like dark chocolate.

P.S. I've suddenly become a huge fan of cherries and they were on sale at the store so I'll be sharing some cherry recipes for the next week or two.

Peanut Butter Coconut Cups
                                               Created by Rayna of Curious Country Cook
10-12 candies (I got 12)

  • 6 oz good quality chocolate (I used Lindt 70% intense dark  & Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet)
  • 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter (Decrease sugar if using a sweetened peanut butter)
  • 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar*
  • 3 tbsp coconut flakes  (I used unsweetened), plus more for topping (2 tsps or so)
  • sea salt (for topping)

In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter and sugar until well combined before stirring in the coconut.  Set aside.


Break up the chocolate and put into a microwave-safe bowl or mug.  Microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes or until fully melted, stopping every 30 seconds to stir and check and see if it is melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. Line a mini muffin pan with mini liners (or brush the pan with melted coconut oil if not using liners) and set aside. 


Once chocolate is melted, drizzle a little into the bottom of each paper mini muffin liner and using a pastry brush, spoon, or your finger (I used my finger) coat the sides of the cupcake liners.  Place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.


Once hard, remove the pan from the freezer.  Place a small amount (about 1/2  teaspoon) of the peanut butter mixture into the center of each chocolate-coated cup. Dip your finger in a little water and flatten the peanut butter mix into the chocolate cup- the water helps the peanut butter not the stick to your finger.  Then drizzle more melted chocolate over until the peanut butter is covered.  Repeat for all of the remaining peanut butter cups.  Use a small offset spatula, spoon, or your finger  to smooth out the tops. 
Top each candy with some flaked coconut (as much as you like) before sprinkling with some sea salt. 

Place candy cups back into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden, then transfer into the refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve cold.

Notes:
*The coconut palm sugar has the texture of fine turbinado sugar, tastes similar to brown sugar (a little richer), and has a 1:1 ratio to regular or brown sugar.
- you could use any type of chocolate you like.
- sweetened coconut flakes might give a bolder coconut flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment