Friday, May 18, 2012

Mango-Avocado Salsa


 On Mother's day, my mom and I ventured into Half Price Books to spend our time until the other stores opened. We came out with about 7 cookbooks and a canning how-to book. One of the books that I got was The Gloriously Gluten-Free Cookbook by Vanessa Maltin. While there aren't any pictures (I'm a visual person) there are a lot of recipes that use fresh, seasonal items and just reading some of the titles made my mouth water.
  I was going through the books to bookmark certain recipes ,when I found a recipe for mango salsa. I've never had mango salsa, but it sounds delicious and refreshing to me and even better, I had all of the ingredients in the kitchen. This dip is a mix between salsa and guacamole which you can eat with chips or serve on fish or chicken.


  This recipe is great for summer since it's a no cook recipe,the ingredients are fresh, it's delicious, and everyone will enjoy it since it's sweet and has no heat. I think next time though I might add in a jalapeno to give it some heat.
Mango-Avocado Salsa
serves: 6

1 large ripe mango, peeled and diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1  small red onion, diced
1 cup (1 handful) fresh cilantro, chopped
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste

corn chips, to serve

1. In a medium bowl, combine the mango, tomatoes, avocado, onions, garlic, cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste.

This salsa can last in the fridge, but it's better to eat it the day it was made.

Notes: 
-I used 1 extra garlic clove in my version.
-I used only 3 tbsp juice
-You could add in a jalapeno or other peppers to give it some heat.

Dairy-free & Vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment