Sunday, December 4, 2011

Meet Porky & Funky Chunky Cookies

I survived my SAT test , but now I have to wait 3 weeks before finding out my scores......
Oh, I got a hedgehog too! Who was named Mad Martigan, but is now called Porky or Hedgie.
 Ive always wanted a hedgie, but my mom would never let me buy one. Rabbits, hamsters, turtles, fish, goats,cats, and even a crawfish from our pond- she would let me have, but never a hedgehog.
   Porky, the hedgehog who I find myself calling him "Hedgie" more, was my cousin's pet, but she recently had to move back here and with her being pregnant and trying to get back on her feet, she didnt't have the time for Porky so he came to live with us. Simple as that. Tigger hates him though. He doesn't even have to see him for him to start hissing. Its funny because Porky "huffs" when he is nervous and scared and Tigger hisses back at him. All you hear in my room at night (hedgehogs are nocturnal) is huffing and hissing.
Porky is prickly, but not sharp. He likes to lick my fingers. He likes both can and dry cat food. He has a fleece blanket that is decorated with puppies that he loves to sleep in/on/&under. He's cool.

  I originally was going to make Spinach Artichoke Dip That I found in a magazine, but for some reason when I was at the grocery store, I didn't feel like making it anymore. I blamed it on taking the SAT-its kinda ruined my saturday. I mean, who wants to get up at 6am on a saturday morning inorder to sit in a room for 4 hours to take a test?. No one thats who. The teachers even were falling alseep.
A few cookies were topped with caramel candies and some with butterscotch chips.
 

  Instead I adapted a cookie recipe from Allrecipes.com. I added mini Reese's peanut butter cups, mini m&m's, semi sweet chocolate chips, and some mini chocolate chips. I topped a few cookies with some butterscotch chips (for my mom- I don't like butterscotch) and even a few pieces of carmel candy.
 These cookies aren't overly sweet-partly due to me cutting down the sugar of the original recipe, but also because I used semi sweet and dark chocolate. The peanut butter cups give these cookies a slightly salty taste that makes you grab another cookie before you even finish your first.

Funky Chunky Cookies
I used this basic dough: chocolate chip cookie dough
Yeilds: 6 dozen cookies -using a small ice cream scoop

1 cp butter, softened
1 cp white sugar
3/4 cp brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cp all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp water, hot
1/4 tsp salt
14 mini Reese's peanut butter cups, chopped
1 cp mini M&M's
1/2 cp dark chocolate chocolate chips*
1/4 cp mini semi sweet choclate chips*
nuts, chopped (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and add into the batter with the salt.
3. Slowly add in the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips and pieces.
4. Using a small ice cream scoop (or a tablespoon), measure out the dough on a cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until golden. Let cool for 3 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an air tight container.

> I made 4 dozen cookies, but still had enough batter for maybe 2- 2 1/2 dozen cookies. I layed the dough on plastic wrap, rolled it into a log. and stored it in a freezer bag( that I labeled) to be baked for another time. When you want to bake the cookies, slice the slightly frozen dough using a serrated knife about 1/4' thick and bake. These won't be as dense and have the height as the cookies made using an ice cream scoop, but they are still tasty.
*This cookie recipe came from wanting use some reese's pb cups, but also wanting to make another cookie recipe. You can add nuts, fruit, or change out the chocolate for butterscotch or white chocolate inorder to fit your taste.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment