Friday, October 28, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal

Originally, I was going to post a pretzel crusted chicken tenders recipe, but they didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. They weren't bad, but they weren't great.

So.... instead I am posting a recipe for oatmeal.
Oatmeal with brown sugar and apples.
There is something about having a bowl of hot creamy oatmeal on a very chilly Autumn morning that I find very comforting.  Im glad Autumn is here, especially after the hot, dry, and very dreadful summer we had just  experienced here in Texas. Autumn is my favorite season. I love the chilly days,wearing comfy sweaters, the colors of the leaves, the aroma of cinnamon and freshly baked pumkin pie, and just the time of relaxation before the holidays arrive.
The creamy oatmeal with the sweetness from both the apples and brown sugar and a crunch from pecans is like heaven in a bowl. There was once a time when I gave up on oatmeal because of those little instant packages. I hated it, especially since I usually was sick and had to take medicine. But my grandma started making oatmeal- its not Quaker, I forgot the name, but I know she has to place a big order to be sent here to Texas-and my love for oatmeal was renewed. She makes her oatmeal with soy milk, brown sugar, and raisins. I made this oatmeal kinda like how she makes her, but with Quaker.



Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal
Adapted from: 5dollardinners
serves: 2

  • 2 cp. water (or milk)
  • 1 cp. old fashioned oats
  • 1 large apple (I used 2 small Jonathon apples)
  • about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add the cinnamon. Add the oats- cook according to the directions on package.
2. Core and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces.
3. Once the oatmeal has thickened & is gently boiling, stir in the apples and brown sugar. Cook for a few more minutes; if you like softer apples, then cook for about 3-4 minutes.
4. Serve.

I like to top mine with some chopped pecans and extra brown sugar.
Bananas would also be good to top each bowl with, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment