Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sweet Potato Banana Muffins

I got a recipe for yall as promised.
I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen after needing to use up 2 2lb. sweet potatoes that we got from the Farmers Market.These muffins are light and moist. They are so good and the orange specs of sweet potato through out the muffin let you know whats in there. The crunch of the nuts gives the muffin extra texture.I think though, next time I make them, I will lower the amount of banana and increase the amount of sweet potato. Just so you can really know that there is sweet potato in there.
The mini choclate chips add some extra sweetness (semi-sweet chips make sure it isnt too sweet) and some extra creaminess.


Sweet Potato Banana Muffins
Recipes Adapted from: Noshings @ TastyKitchen
yeilds: about 20 regular muffins

  • 1 cp. Sweet Potato, mashed (I used fresh, but you could use canned yams, drained and mashed),
  • 3 whole Bananas,ripe and mashed
  • 1 cp. sugar
  • 2/3 cp. veg oil
  • 2 whole large eggs
  • 2 cps. A.P flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cp. pecans, waltnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 cp. chocolate chips (optional)
  • I added/changed:
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cp. slivered almonds instead of pecans
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp. mini chocolate chips

1. Mix together the mashed sweet potatoes, bananas, sugar, oil and eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Into the sweeet potato mixture add the dry ingredients; fold batter carefully until flour is incorporated.
>> As for the nuts, I reserve these and toss them on top so that they toast as the bread bakes.
4. Line a 12 muffin tin with liners, fill,top with the nuts, and bake for about 16-19 minutes.
5. Once the muffins come out, transfer them to a cooling rack.

Since, I have only 1- 12 muffin pan I had to make the muffins in 2 batches. The 1st batch was regular with the almonds and the 2nd I added 3 tbsp. mini chocolate chips.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment